We know how deeply Minnesotans care about their land. That's why we've developed the Master Woodland Owner program. This comprehensive landowner education program teaches family forest owners the ins and outs of forest health, monetizing your land, management for recreation and wildlife, estate planning and taxes, and more.
Best of Both Worlds
The Master Woodland Owner course is a hybrid design with in-person and virtual learning. Online topics are offered as a series of self-paced modules with exercises and group discussions. Complete the online portion on your schedule while still contributing to group learning. In-person events enable you to learn hands-on and engage with instructors and fellow woodland owners.
After completing the Master Woodland Owner program, participants will be able to:
- consider the different reasons and ways to manage their woods
- identify common trees and invasive plants
- map their property and conduct a woodland inventory
- find and talk with natural resources professionals
- select appropriate trees and know how to plant them
- develop and refine goals for their property
- discuss financial considerations of land ownership (including tax incentives and estate planning) with their family and financial/tax advisors
- serve as a mentor to other private woodland owners